When you first setup QuickBooks, it requires you to setup your “Admin” account and login.
This account is designed for only five basic purposes:
1) Setting up and managing user accounts
2) Setting Company Preferences
3) Setting a Closing Date and password
4) Overriding the closing date message, and allowing the transaction
5) Importing and Exporting lists
Too often clients use this account for all daily operations, and it SHOULD NOT be used this way !
In addition, the 4th use above should not ever be an option, but if you are logged in as the default “Admin” regardless if you changed the name from “Admin”, you can override the closing date warning with the password, and make changes to an already closed accounting period.
The next step is to setup the users that will be logging into QuickBooks including yourself, and assigning their access rights.